Bill O’Reilly Is OUT At Fox News Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations

It’s official: Amid sexual harassment allegations against him, 21st Century Fox has announced that Bill O’Reilly’s days at Fox News are over.

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” Fox said in a statement Wednesday.

A source told CNN that O’Reilly, who’s currently on vacation in Italy, was notified of the decision Wednesday. His reps have yet to comment, but his lawyer reportedly suggested that a statement would be released soon.

O’Reilly left for his several-weeks-long trip — which he said had been scheduled for months — in early April, just after The New York Timespublished a scathing report on how he and Fox had paid five women who accused him of harassment or verbal abuse a combined $13 million.

As TIME noted, two more women have come forward with claims of harassment and over 50 companies had pulled their ads from his top-rated show, The O’Reilly Factor, since the report was published.

For his part, O’Reilly has denied the allegations. His attorney has called them a “brutal campaign of character assassination.”

In a letter to employees Wednesday, 21st Century Fox head Rupert Murdoch said the decision to fire O’Reilly “follows an extensive review in collaboration with outside counsel.”

“By ratings standards, Bill O’Reilly is one of the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news,” Murdoch wrote. “In fact, his success by any measure is indisputable. … We have full confidence that the network will continue to be a powerhouse in cable news. Lastly, most importantly, we want to underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect.”

Murdoch concluded the letter by thanking his employees for their “hard work, patience, and for the great job you all do delivering news and opinion to millions of Americans whose trust you earn every day. I look forward to even more success in the coming years.”

O’Reilly had worked for Fox for more than two decades. No word yet on where he’ll end up next, but CNN reported that fellow Fox News host Tucker Carlson will move to O’Reilly’s 8 p.m slot.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


65 − = 62